"...I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..." [Deuteronomy 5:8-10]

Monday, September 15, 2008

Denyse on Worthwhile Discussion

Denyse O'Leary writes in her new piece at Salvo Mag:

"The new atheists have inherited that unmistakable self-righteous post-Sixties vehemence which doubtless feels good to the venter and those who share the venter's views, but makes no new point and advances no worthwhile discussion."
I thought it might be useful to list some of Denyse' own "worthwhile" additions to discussions on...

1. Science
"I have no objection to origin of life research, but then I have no objection to the search for the Lost Atlantis either."
2. Economics
"I've sometimes said that Darwinism is the Enron of biology, but I hadn't realized that the Enron guys themselves were actually Darwin freaks. A friend tells me, re the Enron documentary, The Smartest Guys in the Room, Of interest to me was the unapologetically explicit philosophy of Darwinism which was prevalent at Enron from top management to commodity traders."
3. Ethics
"I wonder how many... would prefer to be... mere evolved amoeba, as long as they knew that they would not be held accountable for their own behaviour?"
4. Philosophy
"...producing... infants... is not an intellectual enterprise. So whatever is going on with the intellect, and therefore about philosophy of science, is not Darwinian, apparently."
5. Religion:
"If I weren’t so happy being a Catholic, I would be tempted to be a Jew. I wouldn’t be tempted to be an atheist/agnostic, because it doesn’t sound like anyone cares much."
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

PTET

No comments: