"...I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..." [Deuteronomy 5:8-10]

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Campaign Humour

Here's a McCain supporter who hilariously doesn't want Obama supporters to park in his lot...



"For political reasons, he's just throwing a little humour into the presidential race":

"I don't expect to go after anyone with a baseball bat. I would grin at them and laugh and ask if they could read English".
Given the US's rich tradition of racial segregation, that seems a little strange to me. But hey, I guess it's just comedy.

Then there's these:


See, here's what I don't get. You can say these images are a joke - that they are not meant to be taken seriously. But if they are a joke, the joke is "Obama looks like an arab terrorist". Am I meant to laugh at that?

Now, take as an alternative some "progressive liberal" humour. Is the message here that Sarah Palin will give you VD? Or that she'll fire ping-pong balls from her vagina to get votes? Or is it more subtle?

________

For me, comedy works when it's not laughing at someone... It's laughing at attitudes, expectations, mores, ourselves... It's not about inciting hatred and mistrust and fear and ignorance. But them I'm a godless liberal, so what would I know?

PTET

No comments: