"...I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..." [Deuteronomy 5:8-10]

Friday, July 23, 2004

Time To Take Sides?

Darkstar218 writes:

"I remember a day when Democrats could be pro-life and still wear a Donkeyin with pride (I LOVE that, by the way.) I can remember a day when Republicans could be anti-Guns and not marked for life. My point is I'm actually glad that lines are being drawn in the sand and people are forced to THINK about what they believe... this US vs THEM mentality, I believe, has merit. Yes, it can turn nasty at times and alienate many people. Call me crazy, but my Bible tells me to either be Hot or Cold - the worst thing to be is apathetic or lukewarm. (see the Church in Laodicea.) Don't have an opinion about Abortion yet? My claim is if you are not 100% on one side or the other about this issue - YOU HAVE NO DIRECTION IN ANY PART OF YOUR LIFE ABOUT ANYTHING.

...What we need to shake things up is some good ol’ fashioned Persecution. See, it doesn’t COST most Christians anything to say they are followers of Christ. Most people think “hey, whatever. You do your thing, I’ll do mine.” At worst, we might get a few mocking emails or fingers pointed at us. Mostly it’s just people WAITING for you to slip so they can jump on you and say “SEE, SEE. You call yourself a Christian? You’re as bad as us!”

But when the church starts to come under persecution, and you’ll have to Count the Cost of calling yourself a Christian – we’ll see a GREAT REVOLUTION in the church. I’m certainly excited and can’t wait for it to happen. Now, I’m not a sadist or anything like that, but when that happens – MAN will it be exciting to see REAL Christians stand up and stand out."
He "100%" opposes abortion, but also opposes full sex education because he fears it promotes promiscuity - even though this means a substantially higher abortion rate. He then hopes that this higher abortion rate will hot up the debate on abortion leading to greater strife within the church and within society. "How lovely".

Perhaps if Dartstar218 did "THINK about what" he believes, he wouldn't be quite so strident. That's the interesting point, as I've explored in my earlier posts today. How do you argue with someone who is adamant that they are right no matter what evidence, opinions, facts and contradictions are shown to oppose their beliefs?

Follow the discussion - if there is one - on Darkstar218's weblog.

No comments: