"...I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me..." [Deuteronomy 5:8-10]

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Hank Hanegraaff
In my discussions with Darkstar218, he has referred to the work of Hank Hanegraaff, an Evangelist who claims to be able to support a rational belief in the truth of the Bible and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I hadn't heard of this guy, so I tried a Google search on him. To my surprise, it seems he's quite a controversial figure. It seems that in the past he's been accused of plagiarism and even fraud. Further, it seems that there are calls for him to be removed from his leading role at the Christian Research Institute (CRI) by various former and current members. Dan R. Schlesinger of the Institute for Biblical Apologetics Inc writes:

"Hank Hanegraaff is not an apologist, theologian, nor an expert on the cults or the occult. Hank Hanegraaff, in my opinion, is a lay evangelist pretending to be what he is not. He should be exercising those gifts God has bestowed on him in his respective field of ministry."

"Hank Hanegraaff needs to be removed from the ministry of CRI . He should not be allowed to 'pontificate' on matters of faith or doctrine as he is clearly unqualified to do so. Neither should he be allowed to perpetuate the wrongdoing he has brought on many others since my departure [from the CRI]."
Strong words.

No comments: